Saturday, March 24, 2012

On Your Marks, Get Set Go! Easter Egg Hunt at the Lower Providence Township Building



Cassandra Long, 2, of Harleysville, picks up an Easter egg during the 2-year-old portion of the Lower Providence Township's Easter Egg Hunt Saturday, March 24, 2012. Photo by Christine Reckner/Times Herald Staff




When I was younger, I treated my mom like a mobile coat hanger. If we went to an Easter egg hunt, I'd cast aside my jacket for her to sling across her arm and offer her my empty plastic egg shells. When I got a little older (but not too old to stop doing this) I'd look back at her from some pony ride or roller coaster and wonder to myself why she looked so happy. I mean seriously, why did parents enjoy watching us have all the fun while they stood there waiting?!

Now that I myself am a grown up I can understand it. I mean, my job is to be a permanent observer, never engaging in the fun, merely capturing it. And you know what...there are more days than I thought there would be where I'm ok with that. These are children I don't even know...and to see their faces light up when they grab one of those eggs is really priceless. They handle each one like it's a piece of treasure!

And of course, it brings me back fondly to my own memories of Sunday morning Easter egg hunts. Like the year I didn't win a chocolate bunny and they gave me one just so I'd stop crying. Or when my grandmother would set them outside her house every year and we'd memorize the good hiding spots. I can distinctly remember the feeling of pride when I'd open an egg with a gold coin inside. I'm not going to lie, I don't think I'm going to mind all that much when my own kids turn me into a hanger one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment