Saturday, May 5, 2012

Third Annual Norristown Arts Hill Festival


Arianna Prete, 7, of Norristown paints a picture during the 3rd Annual Norristown Arts Hill Festival Saturday, May 5, 2012.
Actors from the Center Theater Children's Play perform for children during the 3rd Annual Norristown Arts Hill Festival Saturday, May 5, 2012.

Mike Wood, of Bridgeport, works on his craft during the 3rd Annual Norristown Arts Hill Festival Saturday, May 5, 2012.

Earrings hang on display during the 3rd Annual Norristown Arts Hill Festival Saturday, May 5, 2012.

Dancers from Metropolitan Ballet perform during the 3rd Annual Norristown Arts Hill Festival Saturday, May 5, 2012.


Norristown Arts Hill Festival Article by Christine Reckner

Art festivals are definitely one of my favorite types of assignments to cover because they're events I'd go to even if I wasn't working! Well that's not necessarily true for this week, because as soon as I finished I had to jet to Penn State to see my best friend graduate.

But anyways, seriously all those types of art, performing, dance, abstract, paintings, caricatures- and children amidst it all, with their bright, curious eyes make for the best subjects. There was a point during the day when I almost forgot I was working...but when I was also reminded of the reason I wanted to be a photojournalist. So much inspiration! I spoke with so many artists who, instead of pestering me to buy their work, instead showed me how to create my own!

This arts fest is only in its 3rd year, and that's also another reason I'm so impressed. Norristown, the city I work in, is not known for its arts scene. It's a town more known to my friends and to everyone else that's grown up near the area as more of a crime scene. Every week I'm meeting people that live here that are using all the resources they have to change their hometown's image and I think that, while they've still got a long way to go, they're certainly off to a good start.


No comments:

Post a Comment