Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter Break, Destination: London

My room mate last year was an international student from London and over the year we got to be such close friends that she invited me to stay with her during my winter break. I spent the majority of my time over there catching up with her and being a tourist but I didn't miss the opportunity to get  few good shots.
Sun setting outside our plane in Philadelphia before the plane was deiced for takeoff. Deicing the plane took about an extra half hour, making us miss our connecting flight and therefore resulting in my sister and myself sleeping in Charlotte, North Carolina for a night (after sleeping on the floor of the airport for three hours trying to get another flight out).
Tower Bridge, London
Our first real day in London was a dreary one spent at the Tower of London. Afterwords we walked across the Tower Bridge and ventured into London on the other side of the Thames.  
 On New Years Eve we traveled to Brighton, a city off the coast about an hour south of London. My friend Sophie goes to Sussex University so we spent the night at her house.

Big Ben....obviously :). First thing we noticed getting off the tube, though not as impressive as we were hoping.

I believe this was taken in Piccadilly Circus. I really liked the Underground signs and I caught a red bus in the background so I thought this might count for something. 

London was an extremely different experience. Although I did enjoy dipping HobNobs into my tea and driving on the left side of the road, by the end of the week I discovered my real priorities in life: coming back to my own home and being surrounded by my friends and family, I'd never been so happy to hear American accents again :).



No comments:

Post a Comment